Pages

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

I'm Not Stubborn. My Way is Just Better.


Change is inevitable.  It happens. We are different today than we were a few years ago. I can easily pinpoint several areas in my life that have evolved in recent years. I've switched from PC to Mac. I read most of my books on an electronic device. I have seen the light and joined facebook and twitter. My hair has even lost that 80's look...although it’s still quite fluffy.

However, if you were to ask me what one of the biggest things that has changed about me over the last few years, I have to say it’s my attitude of being teachable.  If you were to characterize my personality, most everyone I know would say that I am determined and opinionated. I personally believe that won’t ever change. It's who God has made me.  However, I have found that if left unchecked and unconnected with the Holy Spirit, those qualities can very easily move into being inflexible, stubborn, and obstinate…not such great qualities if I am around or leading others.  It's certainly a detriment to my own personal growth. 

My approach to life will always frame the outcome.  Do I want my way or do I want the best way? Am I secure enough to take the advice of others? Do I have a hunger to discover more and grow?  Is there a desire to learn, unlearn, and relearn?  Those are the questions that I constantly have to ask myself. God has placed me in community with others, and not by accident.  If I approach life with the attitude that it’s a journey that is ever changing and ever evolving, and there are others that see things differently than me, then I am set up for success. Being teachable enables God to grow me.  The extra blessing is that He also increases my influence and my effectiveness as I seek the input of others. 

In the end, life is not all about me anyway. It's all about Him and His people.


Let wise people listen and add to what they have learned.  Let those who understand what is right get guidance.                  Proverbs 1: 5

No comments:

Post a Comment