Pages

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

A Control Freak


I like control. If you know me, then that statement is not a surprise. Control brings order. I like to know what’s going to happen, and I like to plan what’s going to happen. Even better than that, I like to plan what’s NOT going to happen! I think people who like to have control have been given a bad rap in society. I recently read that taking control can improve comfort and the ability to get work done and reduce stress. That, in turn, can lead to greater productivity and better health. Imagine, taking control means a less stressful life…at least for the one who likes to control things. That notion has really set me free—free to live in my own little controlled stress-free world.

However, there is a downside when it comes to being a control freak.  When faced with problems that need to be solved or a plan that needs attention, I could very easily make a decision too quickly.  I don’t think there is anything wrong with making snappy decisions. However, it becomes a problem when I don’t take the time to try and find out how God wants me to handle it. 

For as long as I can remember, my goal has been to consistently set aside time in the morning to read the Bible and pray. I have always thought that the early morning time with God would help me climb the mountains that I needed to traverse and to slay the dragons that I needed to conquer.  It's a worthy goal, to be sure. Now, I realize how little that helps me throughout the day.  It’s not the one time event that makes me a successful employee, wife, mother, friend, and control fanatic (just thought I would use a word other than freak for giggles) It’s the continuous attention to remain connected with my Lord throughout the day that will give this control freak a stress-free life.


I know it sounds simple, but I'm learning that I have to constantly be connected with the Holy Spirit for me to be a successful control freak. If not, then, I’m just a freak. 


  
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 (NLT)
Always be joyful. Never stop praying. Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment